Subject: Revision of MIME registration
From: parks&eeel.nist.gov (Curtis Parks)
To: IANA&isi.edu
Cc: ietf-types&cs.utk.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:18:45 -0500

The registration of IGES as "application/iges" has been superseded
by "model/iges" upon approval of RFC 2077.

The new registration (including COA for US PRO) is:

Media type name:     model

Media subtype name:  iges

Required parameters: None

Optional Parameters: None

Encoding considerations:  IGES is a clear text ASCII encoded format.
   Compression is recommended.

Security considerations: None

Published specification:  ANS/US PRO/IPO-100
   U.S. Product Data Association
   Trident Research Center, Suite 204
   5300 International Blvd.
   N. Charleston, SC 29418

   e-mail: uspro&scra.org

Person & email address to contact for further information:
   Curtis Parks <parks&eeel.nist.gov>

IGES is a commonly used format for CAD model (3-D or 2-D) interchange.
An IGES file is also used for simple illustrations/figures between CAD
or "drawing" applications. The latter may also be suitable for WWW
vector image graphics. IGES files include parameters about the IGES
object itself, e.g., version number, model size, encoded elements. The
IGES Project committee has approved (3/94) the submission for
registration of the format as a MIME data type.

---------------- disposition of application/iges -----------------

It is requested that the registration found at

  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/iges

be marked (obsolete; replaced by model/iges), then removed after a suitable
period of time. The new registration resolves the "issue noted during
comment period" (see below). The change to the use of model/iges has been
approved (Toronto, 11/96) by the IGES Project of the US Product Data
Association.

-------------------- original registration -----------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:37:01 -0500
From: parks&eeel.nist.gov (Curtis Parks)
Subject: Registration of new Media Type application/iges

Media type name:  application

Media subtype name:  iges

Required parameters: None

Optional Parameters: None

Encoding considerations:  IGES is a clear text ASCII encoded format.
   Compression is recommended.

Security considerations: None

Published specification:  ANS/US PRO/IPO-100
   U.S. Product Data Association
   2722 Merrilee Drive, Suite 200
   Fairfax, VA 22031-4499

Person & email address to contact for further information:
   Curtis Parks <parks&eeel.nist.gov>

IGES is a commonly used format for CAD model (3-D or 2-D) interchange.
An IGES file is also used for simple illustrations/figures between CAD
or "drawing" applications. The latter may also be suitable for WWW
vector image graphics. IGES files include parameters about the IGES
object itself, e.g., version number, model size, encoded elements. The
IGES Project committee has approved (3/94) the submission for
registration of the format as a MIME data type.

--------- issue noted during comment period -------------

Proposed registration (as it appears above) sent to
ietf-types&cs.utk.edu on 3/15/95 per RFC 1590 resulted in discussions
about the possible need for a new 3D Media Type. (This discussion was
raised when registration for VRML was proposed.) The IGES Project
people opined that at such time as the the requirements are resolved
and new Types registered (e.g., Type CAD or Type 3D), that IGES, and
perhaps other formats, may need to be considered for repositioning as
subtypes of such new Media Type. However, using the above Type/Subtype
and IGES viewers has demonstrated the expected functionality.

[]